Determine Certification Level:
Explore the certification levels and determine which one best describes your experience, education and training. You can test at whichever level is the best fit. It is not necessary to complete testing at a lower level before taking a higher level exam. You cannot be certified unless you meet all of the requirements for a specific level.
Upon completion of testing, practitioners will be notified of test results. Practitioners who pass the exam can apply for certification.
To complete the certification process, practitioners who have completed testing submit:
- Complete application
- Pay application processing fee
- Sign eligibility statement
- Sign agreeing to use the Standards for Practice ethics code
- Submit colleague references
- Submit training/education documentation
- Document professional association membership
- Complete supervisory assessment (Associate & Professional levels only)
- Submit electronic portfolio (Professional level only)
The certification program recognizes training received from a variety of sources, including:
- Agency in-service training.
- College and university education programs.
- Seminars, conferences and regional training events.
- Courses offered by the Academy for Competent Youth Work.
Timing & Deadlines:
Applicants have up to 6 months (Professional) or 1 year (Entry & Associate) following date of testing to submit an application. Submission time for a Professional application can be extended to 1 year by paying an additional fee.